Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Chicken Soup -- 60 Minutes -- Serves 8

Earlier this fall, Fuego had a pretty nasty flu (yes, possibly that one). From the heap that I presumed to be my ailing wife, a weak voice asked if I could figure out how to make some chicken soup that she would be willing and able to eat. In addition to being GF, Fuego is also a vegetarian, but apparently childhood comfort foods in the midst of a bedridden flu create a loophole - or some kind of hole in the space/time continuum that made it okay. So off I went to search out free-range organic local poultry from a reputable and known sustainable farm where the animals are humanely treated and the packaging is minimal. (Thank you Petaluma Farms!) A simple and classic fall and winter recipe was born (and Fuego kept down THREE bowls - the first food she'd been able to eat in two or three days). The kids and I have had it a couple of times since, and it's just plain yummy!

With a simple recipe like this, where there are relatively few ingredients, the freshness and quality of each ingredient really does make quite a difference.

I start with a large (8 quart) stock pot and fill about three quarters full (about 6 quarts) with fresh cold (filtered) water.

6 Quarts Water
2 lbs Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs
4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes
8 Medium Carrots
1T Fresh Minced Garlic
2T Onion Powder (I recommend powdered over fresh onions for this recipe as it provides the flavor for the broth without altering the soft, rooty texture of the soup).
2t Salt
1/8t white pepper (aesthetic choice over black pepper).


While the water is heating over high heat, wash the chicken and cut into 1/2" cubes (I cut pieces directly into the water with a pair of kitchen scissors as a short cut). Add to the water (needn't be boiling yet).

*Note: if you froze your chicken and don't have time to thaw it before cooking, wash the chicken and add whole to the pot of cold water over high heat. By the time the water boils, you should be able to remove the chicken to cut it up and add it back in - careful, it's hot ;o). (Be aware that high heat may not be a successful option for stainless steel - I haven't tried it yet).

Next add the garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.

Peel potatoes, cut into 3/4" cubes, and add to the water (when I do it, the water is boiling by now - so if you're faster, wait for the water to boil before adding potatoes to ensure the chicken has ample time to cook thoroughly and make a good broth).

Peel carrots, slice into 1/4-1/2" rounds (thicker for the narrow end, thinner for the thick end so they cook at the same rate - this may not be necessary, but it's how I do it ;o), add to the water.

Boil together for at least 20 minutes after adding the carrots to ensure they are cooked and have had enough time to add their distinctiveness to the broth.

From cold water to finished-soup should take about forty-five minutes to an hour (an hour if your chicken starts out frozen). The potatoes will give a wonderful cloudy texture to the broth, so if you'd prefer clear broth, add the potatoes last and cook just long enough for them to be tender (about 15-20 minutes should do it).

Traditionalists' Note: I intentionally left out the customary celery and bay leaves when I made this for Fuego. I loved the flavor so much that I haven't bothered adding them into successive batches. I also intentionally went with skinless boneless thigh meat for simplicity sake that first time. I was pleased to find that the broth is awesome without the skin and bones ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment