Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sloppy Joes -- 30 minutes -- serves 6

These were always a childhood favorite when I was growing up, and while Manwich is listed as Gluten Free, I still wanted to create my own original without mustard so Fuego could eat a vegetarian version (she loves it!). I typically make these when she is eating something else since finding a gluten free veggie ground round is not an easy task. The recipe below calls for Turkey. I would note that it was difficult to find a simple jar of Horseradish that wasn't mixed with a bunch of other gunk (including gluten), but I eventually did find one in the refrigerated section of our New Leaf market (local natural foods store) - it is amazing! I would also note that as per usual, I used onion powder for Fuego's aversion to the real thing - but this is a recipe where a half of a fresh minced onion could easily be sauteed with the ground meat for a very satisfying option.

For the GF buns, I now use Kinnikinnick's hamburger or hot dog buns. They have reformulated them in the past few months and they are now QUITE satisfying (I seldom even bother making my own anymore now that I can get them this good at the store). The recipe makes about 5-6 sloppy joes.

Hope you enjoy another favorite.

Per Pound of Organic Free Range Ground Dark Meat Turkey:

1C Ketchup
1T (heaping) Molasses
1t (heaping) fresh minced garlic
2T balsamic vinegar
1/4C Red wine (zinfandel is a yummy choice)
1/4 t (scant) horseradish
1 1/2 t onion powder
1T brown sugar
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1/8 t (scant) curry powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t white pepper

Brown turkey meat with a dash of olive oil (doesn’t create it’s own grease).

While turkey meat is browning, mix all “sauce” ingredients in a 1Q mixing bowl (I use my 4C pyrex measuring cup).

When turkey is fully cooked, add mix and stir while simmering until desired texture is reached (it will be a bit soupy at first, so give it about 5-10 minutes simmering and stirring time to really come together).

**Cook’s note: I do not measure any of my ingredients except the ketchup. These are best guesses. Smell and taste your sauce to adjust as necessary before adding to meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment