Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Scalloped Corn -- 2 hrs -- Serves 8

There are some things that come from my childhood that I simply cannot do without at Thanksgiving. Scalloped corn is one of those things! Corn, butter, dairy, spices, and bread - what's not to like!! My dad and brother and I would fight over who got the crusty parts on the sids and bottom of the casserole dish.

I came up with my own recipe back when I started cooking thanksgiving dinner back in 2000, and converted the recipe to Gluten Free a few years ago. Those of us who like it can attest to the fact that it simply isn't Thanksgiving without it. Those who think it is an abomination of a perfectly good side dish... well... more for me! Hope you enjoy this favorite with a twist (and after 37 years, the crusty edges are still the best part! ;o)

6T GF Flour mix (I use the French bread mix: white rice, tapioca, sugar, xanthan gum, unflavored geletin, and egg replacer)
2t salt
1/2t paprika
1/4t cayenne
6T goat butter
1 onion
2C goat milk
20 oz frozen sweet corn
2 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
1 1/3C GF bread crumbs (I used the crusts from the French bread loaves that I made into crutons for the stuffing, but corn flake bread crumbs would also work)
1/4C shredded goat cheddar.

Melt butter in a skillet, add spices and flour, slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Put corn in 3Q casserole dish, add liquids. Mix bread crumbs and cheese, then sprinkle over corn mixture. Bake with turkey for last 90-120 minutes, or at 400 degrees for 60 mins. (I put in for last hour with Turkey at 325, then took out turkey and increased temp to 425 for 15 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment