Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Veggie Tomato Curry -- 40 Mins -- Serves 4

Description
So I was looking for a curry spin on my normal tomato sauce... and then I just kept adding stuff until it was a wholely new delicious creation.  Fuego and I loved this spontaneous dish so much that I recreated the recipe so we could make it again and again.  

As presented this isn't a particularly spicy curry, but then if you know me, you might guess that my perception of spice may not match well with yours ;).  Adjust the spices depending on your 'heat' tolerance.  

Ingredients
25 oz. diced tomatoes (fresh is awesome, but if this is a winter dish for you, 25 oz. canned tomatoes works well too).
6oz red wine
4oz balsamic vinegar 
14oz coconut milk
1T minced garlic
1 onion (1 T onion powder for the texturally challenged ;)
1 1/2 T curry powder (I use Simply Organic as a good basic blend, or mix your own if you have more time and are feeling adventurous)
1t cayenne
1/4 t black pepper
1/2t crushed red pepper
1t basil
1/2t thyme
1/8 t salt (add more to cut down spice if you've gone and hurt yourself ;)
1t sugar
8 oz edemame
8 oz broccoli
1/8 t chili powder

Directions
Saute onion in olive oil until soft.
Add tomatoes, red wine, and balsamic vinegar and bring to a simmer.  
Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to simmer for 20 minutes or until the desired consistency.
Serve over Thai rice noodles, jasmine rice, potatoes, or whatever favorite starch you'd like underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment